2013 was a tough year for me, lots of tough love and brutal lessons and honestly I am glad to leave it… and step into a more exciting 2014 InsyaAllah.
Exciting moments await for me this year, InsyaAllah!
I would like to highlight a few things in 2013 that summarized my year:
- Embarked on the chaos that is wedding planning. This experience has opened my eyes and taught me lots of valuable lessons of wedding planning and marriage, MashaAllah. It also made me realize that marriage is a lot of hard work. One of my favorite teachers and speaker, Ustaz Pahrol said, “Don’t find happiness in a marriage, instead bring happiness into the marriage. Happiness in a marriage needs to be built.” That is so deep and true. Very useful advice for a BTB like me.
- Deciding to leave a place that was not doing any good for me in terms of growth and development. It was tough, but a decision that had to be done.
- Being forced to face a situation whereby I was turned down by something I had been good at all this while. Or at least, I thought I was. It was a total bummer and shattered my ego. But everything in 2013 made me truly believe that everything happened for a reason – and for some reason that opportunity was just not for me at this very moment. I choose to see that God has other things planned for me instead of continuing telling myself I was not good enough for it.
- Started blogging again by starting this blog! I started this blog because I missed writing. When I first started this blog, I had an editorial calendar to help me discipline myself to blog regularly especially because I had not been blogging for a while before that. I also participated in the Daily Post as well as Weekly Writing Challenges, and it has been fun exploring the world in words again. I didn’t expect to gain any followers, but it seems I did and I thank each and everyone of you for it! 🙂 It’s really nice to have a community of writers and bloggers whose intention is to write and blog better, be a better writer, blogger, photographer. But as you can see I have not been writing as regularly as my editorial calendar. Partly because I started a new blog specifically on my wedding planning, seeing that this blog is not a wedding planning blog but a space to practice my craft. Another thing is I have been spending more time off-line, off-writing online because I choose to concentrate on more reading (physical books), finally traveling out of SG this year (after almost a year of not traveling, I finally I went to Melaka and Kuala Lumpur recently, Alhamdulillah). I have also been just enjoying the moments and getting not too caught up with social media, except for posting some photos on Instagram. Just doing some much needed reflection on my quarter-life… I will still be blogging regularly, but will be scrapping my editorial calendar as I have somewhat got into the swing of things, or the momentum of blogging.
- Wrapped up 2013 with getting to meet Prof Dr Muhaya at Seminar Celik Famili in KL! I am so inspired by this ophthalmologist and motivational speaker. She is just amazing. I went to the seminar with my mum and sis, and we were hoping to meet her personally after the seminar but she didn’t come out of the hall. Then, lo and behold, just when we were about to leave our hotel, she came into the hotel with her husband. MashaAllah it was our rezki! It was also a challenge to make the trip happen, but Alhamdulillah Allah made it possible. Truly, Allah is with those who seek knowledge. InsyaAllah, Ameen.
Since my birthday is in December, I used to make a list of things I did for the year in conjunction of the age number. So for example, “22 Things I Did When I was 22”. It was inspired by a fellow blogger, and I did that for several years and had a lot of fun doing it. However, as I thought about doing that this year I didn’t want my life to be measured solely by “things I did” or “places I traveled” or “things I experienced” which was kind of what I was doing sometimes.
Life is not just about “getting” or “having”, but it is about “being” and “becoming”.
I’ve thought a lot about how and what I want in 2014, and I’ve decided that it will be a year of taking chances, being bold, being loving to myself and the people around me, and being happy for no reason! This year, I want my happiness to be “Inside-Out” instead of “Outside-In”. InsyaAllah.
I hope you have an awesome year ahead! 😀